Monday, May 2, 2011

Here's Your Typewriter and Your Quantum Bands


I often try to figure out if I might have super powers. Sometimes I'll stand really still and focus a great deal of energy into the palm of my hand, hoping for some sort of flash. Occasionally I'll try to lift something that I know I shouldn't humanly be able to lift. And every once and a while I'll attempt to melt someone's brain with my mind. I have learned the hard way that this is not something I should readily admit to people. They think it's weird.
     But seriously, how else am I supposed to know when my latent powers kick in? Am I just supposed to sit here and wait and risk A) never realizing that I have powers, or B) my powers going off in an uncontrolled environment and setting an orphanage on fire? Pssh... Screw that. I'll take an occasional odd look from a passerby as I try to crush a passing vehicle into a tiny cube with an outstretched hand if it means I learn about my powers on my terms.
     I think admitting to people that you're a writer is often greeted in the same manner. When most of my friends or family ask me about my writing it's so they have an excuse to do a Stewie Griffin impersonation in an increasingly high-pitched voice while they ask me about my novel. People just don't buy it. Unless you can actually show them your super-suit and produce purple, telekinetic knives, they're not going to believe you are the spirit of a British mutant in the body of a Japanese assassin. In fact, they'll probably think you're a crazy person. And maybe they're right. Being a writer is a little bit crazy. It's definitely not normal. Most writers are so ashamed of what they dream of doing that they have to use fancier words like Author, or Novelist, or Wordsmith, or Sentence-Architect, or Page-Humper. Okay, maybe people don't actually call themselves a Sentence-Architect, but you get my point. It creates this massive gap between deciding "This is what I'm going to do with my life" and "Yeah, that's my book over there... oh yeah, and that children's book too, and those four in the adult section."
     Wouldn't it be such a wonderful world if everyone who wanted to do something could drop their day jobs and pursue their dreams starting right now? Unfortunately, deciding what you want to do with your life doesn't mean you'll have bread on the table... or on the floor... or anywhere else for that matter. It usually means you have to shoulder twice the work because that dream is worth working twice as hard for. I guess I just need to buckle down and get it done because I am a writer, and it's about time I put up or shut up.

3 comments:

jvillo said...

I prefer "crap or get off the pot". Here's to you crapping...er, putting up! Here, here.

Kristen Baird said...

It would be a wonderful world if we could completely focus on our passion, and not worry ourselves with the tedious business of eating and paying bills, but at least you know what you want to do, what you were meant to do. I think that having a clear understanding of what you truly desire is the biggest part of the battle. It is easy(er) to sacrifice for something you truly want (and of course to have an amazing family to sacrifice for).
I am beyond blessed to stay at home with my two precious babies-I love it-I was meant for it-and I thank God everyday for the opportunity, but I sometimes have a minor panic attack when I think about what's next, what I truly desire to do and will find fulfillment in after my babies grow up (b/c unfortunately they do). I try to focus on the here and now, but I feel the not to distant future looming, hovering over head, preparing to swallow me up in discontentment and feelings of uselessness. What will I do, who will I be, and why I'm I so worried about it? So at least find consolation in the fact that you are pursuing what you love, even if it is after everyone is in bed.
Wow, do I get the award for longest, most rambling comment ever? Keep pushing forward!

Kristen Baird said...

After I reread my 'comment' I would like to clarify that that was supposed to be encouraging, and not the heavy 'word vomit' of my inner insecurities it became.
Just remember that I'm home all day with two small children, and I don't use nearly enough (grownup) words-obviously.
I feel better, thanks.